The Father gave me the BEST idea this morning. Well, it was a memory and then an upgrade on the memory. How about a VISION BINDER?! I was honored to be the guest speaker for the New Choices Class graduation at the Women’s Resource Center of Greensboro (http://www.womenscentergso.org/). While I was there, some of the graduates spoke about their vision binders. When they pulled them out, they were the coolest thing! It reminded me of when I was back in high school. We used to put our favorite boy bands, crushes, art or whatever in the front sleeve. It was a great way to be creative, express yourself and personalize your binder. Well, why not do that but make it a place for your vision board?
If you’ve seen the movie The Last Holiday (starring LL Cool J and Queen Latifah), you know what I mean. Her book was called The Book of Possibilities. It was THICK! It was detailed in some places and more vague in others. Why am I mentioning that? Because we often ask too much of ourselves when it comes to our vision. It doesn’t have to be completely laid out. You don’t have to have all the answers. You’re not God. Only He knows everything. Could you imagine knowing everything about your life? Personally, I have enough going on and don’t need more to think about! Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
Benefits of a vision binder as opposed to a vision board:
1. It’s portable. Could you imagine walking around with that board everywhere? lol!!!
2. It allows more expansion of your vision. If your past boards are like mine, you have a million branches off each item. With a binder you can insert more pages as your vision grows.
3. You can view your progress all in one place. That board isn’t very large. And you can only see so much at a time.
Here’s what you need:
1. A 3-ring binder with the clear sleeve in front. Here’s one from Wally World for a decent price.
2. Clear sleeves for each year you want to house. Don’t be afraid to make sleeves for future years. Like the year you pay off your house, retire, your children graduate/move out/start their career.
3. Computer paper in any color you like. It’s your binder, make it as snazzy or conservative as you want! You can use scrap booking elements, magazine cutouts, your personal drawings, photos. Let your mind go wild!
4. Dividers. For those who have a more robust vision, you may want to keep the different years or topics separate. For instance, I could divide my vision binder into a section for books, children (maybe they’d like to make one of their own once they see yours!), marriage, business, personal endeavors or whatever else. Then they can be labeled chronologically within each of those areas.
Finally, here’s another great idea for your techies: MAKE IT ELECTRONIC!!! If you already made physical boards, take pics of them and upload them into a vision folder for your device. You can make folders for each year or use an app like XMind or White Board (this is an online version I just found, but they do have White Board apps on Android & Apple) to let you have as much space as you like to post your vision. You can even make this year’s board your screensaver or background. That way you see it more often and stay focused on your goals.
I did come across a blog where a lady made a vision binder that focused on her fitness goals. You can check it out here.
I hope you’ve been inspired by today’s post. Don’t forget to write the vision and revisit it often!!!
*I was not compensated in any way by Walmart or any of its affiliates. To be honest, I don’t like Walmart (I go in there kicking and screaming about once a month-to be honest, even less). But yeah, they could send me a few bucks for the promo.